We are getting SO close to finishing our living room after we started the renovation process almost a year ago. It’s been a long and fun journey, but I am happy to finally see light at the end of the tunnel. It’s true when they say, good things take time!! I have officially started to style our shelves in the living room and I will just go ahead and say that styling shelves is NO JOKE!!! Anyone who knows how to style shelves and do it well deserves a pat on the back!
I am still not quite finished styling the shelves, but I have come a long way and with that have done LOTS of online searching! Searching for those perfect key decor pieces to add to shelves and spaces that need some styling. I can’t wait to do a full reveal of the living room, which is coming soon, but first we have to finish painting and staining cabinets! You’ll just have to wait and see what we decided to officially do with our floating cabinets. We will either paint them black or stain them to match the floating shelves! Be sure to stay tuned.
I can’t even begin to tell you how many images I have saved prior to beginning the styling of my home, specifically when I was figuring out how to style shelves in my living room, bathroom and kitchen. I have an album on my phone, IG, and of course many pins on Pinterest. During my searches, I have found a few things in common; Vases, candle sticks, art pieces, plants, frames, books, and baskets, are the KEY to success when styling shelves. Or at least that is what I have been really drawn to in most of the inspiration photos I have saved.
5 TIPS ON HOW TO STYLE SHELVES IN YOUR HOME
– Add Plants – When in doubt, add a plant! A bit of green goes a long ways when it comes to shelves and adds the perfect amount of color, especially if you are keeping to a more neutral color scheme.
– Stick to Color Scheme – Decide on if you want bright colors, neutrals, black and whites, or a pop of color. I decided to keep mine simple and neutral with pops of black to accent the rest of the home.
– Mix a Variety of Vases – A variety of vases in all shapes, sizes, and heights makes for easy styling. Buy several and play around with them
– Add Books – Books are a great ‘fill in’ decor piece to add. You can layer them like I did and use to create more height. Or you can turn them around to see the pages and place them between book ends.
– Art Pieces – Find a piece or two you love and layer them. I still want to add an art piece to the top of this shelf, just waiting to find that perfect piece. Layer art with your family photos too!
DECOR PIECES TO STYLE YOUR HOME
LINKS TO ITEMS I HAVE STYLED IN MY HOME
White Totem Vase – This vase is 12.5″ and the perfect accessory to add amongst other vases. I love the fun shape and structure
Two-Toned Medium Size Skinny Vase – Love the neutral colors and the diagonal curve of the colors
Sea Glass Beads – Beads are such an easy way to add texture to your shelves. I loved this blue tone beads and draped them from a large bowl.
Mia Vase – I had my eye on this specific vase for awhile. I love the color and knew it would pair perfectly with other white vases.
Home Body Book – Not pictured, but I have this book on top of my coffee table. I love a good pretty book to layer and add texture to shelves or coffee tables.
Otonio Art Piece – A statement piece to add to any shelve is a piece of art. Find one that speaks to you!
Farmhouse Beads with Tassel – I got the color grey. I have these draped out of the basket on the top shelf.
Pampas Stems – I love the fun softness these bring to the room. Put them in a vase and immediately your room becomes soft and welcoming.
The Layers Beneath Art – Added this to our bathroom shelves and love the colors in it
Mortar and Pestel – The unique texture on this mortar and pestel is why I picked this one over others.
Sugar Pot – It’s just adorable, so of course I added it to the kitchen shelves.
SHELVING PHOTOS THAT I WAS INSPIRED BY
How do you like to style shelves in your home? Share in a comment below!